Chez Lulu, a long-time staple eatery in the heart of Birmigham's English Village, announced on Facebook on January 13, 2021 that it will close temporarily. The post read, "Friends, after much consideration, we have decided to close Chez Lulu once more, but only temporarily, for the remainder of the winter months. We are anxiously awaiting warmer weather, the protection that the vaccines will offer, and a return to carefree evenings under the awning with our friends; and, we truly believe those things are just around the bend. So, with an eye to happier days ahead, we will batten down the hatches one more time and ride the last of this thing out. In the meantime, please keep yourselves healthy, warm and safe."
The post went on the explain that next-door neighbor Continental Bakery will remain open. "Our sister business, the Continental Bakery, will continue to operate like normal, maintaining of course the highest vigilance in health and safety precautions. Stop by and grab an artisan loaf, a pastry, a take home meal or dessert, and say hi. Thanks SO much for your continued care and support. We are, as always, eternally grateful to our wonderful community. Carole and Crew."
Continental Bakery patrons are invited to "choose your own adventure" from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m., 7 days a week:
- Shopping at the walk-up “hobbit window”
- In-person shopping inside the bakery, up to 5 customers at a time (with masks)
- Ordering online, or by telephone at 205-870-5584 for pickup in-store or at the walk-up window
- Ordering by telephone at 205-870-5584 for pickup in-store or at the walk-up window
- Limited curbside service behind the bakery for telephone and online orders
- Several appropriately-distanced self service sidewalk tables for self-bussed onsite dining
The bakery also participates in Saturdays (7 a.m. to noon) at The Market at Pepper Place.
Chez Lulu is described as "a funky and eclectic little French café located in the heart of English Village (Mountain Brook, Alabama). Specializing in tartes, soups, salads and sandwiches...the latter of which are made on a variety of our daily homemade breads from our onsite bakery. We also have a full bar and daily fresh-squeezed juices, as well as a numerous amount of specialty cocktails that we strive to replicate from original and classic French cocktails."